The Independent Drivers Guild (IDG) is hiring an experienced and self-driven individual interested in helping build our organization from the ground up. We are an affiliate of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW, Machinists Union) and represent 50,000 app-based For-Hire Vehicle workers in New York City.
New York City For-Hire Vehicle workers are required by the Taxi and Limousine Commission to take multiple classes including Defensive Driving, Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle training, a 24 hour class to learn tools of the trade, and others. Right now, classes are primarily provided by for-profit companies making millions of dollars by charging well above cost.
We are seeking an experienced Education Programs Director to start up, maintain, and perpetually grow our education programs. Our goal with this position is to become a main provider of the classes for free, paid, or very affordably, to provide nonessential classes to aid self-development, and help our members save thousands of dollars per year while educating workers about unionism and their rights.
These would be the primary responsibilities of the Education Programs Director:
Start up and grow programs:
- Develop goals and workplans for self and the instructor team with Executive Director to best serve membership;
- Startup the education programming by finding appropriate space, instructors, negotiate contracts, navigate regulations, and start classes in necessary locales to meet the needs of our membership;
- This position includes working closely with the Executive Director in the coordination of and adherence to contract obligations and relationships with other industry groups to assure successful implementation of projects against program goals and objectives;
- Find new partners and class space to best serve the geographic and marketing needs of membership;
- Ensure the financial sustainability of education programs that encourage the growth of dues-paying membership;
- Coordinate with members, instructors and other groups to continually develop and improve curriculum to meet the needs of people with varying English abilities and cultural backgrounds;
- Lead and design human-centered learning activities to English Language Learner professional drivers;
- Minimally twice a month, lead professional development by teaching sample lessons to membership for instructors to observe and critique;
- Work with Executive Director, IAMAW, Taxi and Limousine Commission, Consortium for Workers Education, and others to develop programs to best serve membership;
- Build a relationship with the Taxi and Limousine Commission and other industry institutions to ensure compliance with rules and laws and funding sources;
- Give performance feedback to team members;
- Quickly scrap programs that don’t work and invest in programs that do;
- Collaborate with other Funds and organizations to facilitate quality programs.
- Keep the communications team, member-leaders, and organizers up-to-date on classes we are providing, and using those teams to grow the education program;
- Delegate to others to market classes to membership using available resources.
Candidate should possess the following experience: project management, excellent verbal and written communication skills, maintaining with relationships with partners organizations or governmental groups, group facilitation, coworking with Google Docs, logistics coordination, developing programs or curriculum (preferably for English as a Second Language Learners).
Candidate would preferably possess background knowledge and/or experience in several of the following fields: adult education, experience navigating regulatory apparatuses, English as a Second Language curriculum writing, vocational education, labor organizing, workforce development, business development, and sustainable practices.
Candidate should have be interested in labor unions and their role in the economic and political realities of today, and interested in helping the Machinists Union build worker power for a fair platform economy.
Please visit IDG.ms/EPD to apply.