The Independent Drivers Guild (IDG) is a nonprofit affiliate of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW) bringing together app-based drivers in New York City to win better pay, benefits, and dignity on the job. We believe in the power of collective action to win change. Since our launch in 2016, our campaigns have put millions of dollars in drivers pockets, first through a campaign that established the right to be able to accept tips through apps, and next through landmark regulations that established the first-ever pay floor in the industry.
We are now building on this foundation of economic gains with a program to promote mental health and wellness among For-Hire Vehicle drivers in partnership with the Black Car Fund. Our Mental Health and Wellness Program provides a lifeline for drivers who are in crisis and supports drivers with a suite of preventative measures including individual, couples and counseling, accessing social services, and raising awareness of the importance of mental health.
We are seeking an LMSW to join our team part-time. The right candidate will have a can-do attitude and a passion for helping low-wage workers gain power to transform reality through collective action.
Responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide counseling to drivers;
- Provide case management support in accessing social safety net resources, resolving conflicts, and setting and achieving goals;
- Manage a caseload of about 5-10 drivers;
- Work as part of the Mental Health team and other departments at IDG to develop programming;
- Offer trainings for drivers & leaders in the driving community around mental wellness and stress management;
- Field calls from drivers who are in crisis;
- Develop relationships with other community organizations and leaders that drivers may reach out to when they are in crisis;
- Train leaders within and outside the organization on best practices when talking with a driver who is in crisis or needs counseling;
- Work closely with other members of the Mental Health and Wellness Team to track key metrics of program effectiveness;
- Think creatively and collaborate with staff to adapt program focus as-needed;
- Coordinate team of peer health workers and driver leaders in conducting outreach to driver community
- Master of Social Work;
- Valid NY state licensure as LMSW;
- 2-5 years clinical experience preferred;
- Experience with working class and marginalized populations;
- Labor/community organizing experience preferred;
- Experience creating and implementing mental health curriculum;
- Multilingual strongly preferred – particularly Bengali, Urdu, Arabic, Russian;
- Passion for social justice
- Competitive pay.
Please send a cover letter and CV or resume to Program Manager Deborah Ho at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking to fill position ASAP.
IDG is an equal opportunity employer. All persons regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, religious affiliation and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply. People of color and women should apply.