The Independent Drivers Guild (IDG) Education Center is seeking an experienced TLC-licensed drivers and union activists to join our team as instructors for the TLC Universal License 24-Hour Course. This class is required for licensure as a TLC driver. The IDG Education Center offers this course to ensure that every new TLC driver is set up for success from their first day on the job. We are particularly interested in applicants who are bilingual in Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin), Russian, Urdu, and Bengali.
We will train a successful applicant on the curriculum and teaching techniques.
The Independent Drivers Guild is a union nonprofit affiliate of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW, Machinists Union) and represent 65,000 app-based For-Hire Vehicle workers in New York City.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Teaching 1-2 courses per month, offered over three 8-hour days, or a sequence of weekday evenings.
• Attending staff meetings and participating in professional development
• Rapidly integrating feedback and new curriculum from classroom observations
• Current TLC-licensed driver
• Minimum six months experience as a labor activist
• Passion for social justice
• Friendly disposition toward students
• Driven to build worker power in the For-Hire Vehicle Industry
• All of the above and experience as a teacher
This position will report to the Education Programs Director and collaborate with faculty and staff of the IDG Education Center.
Wages and Benefits
• This is a part-time position at up to 60 hours/month.
• Competitive pay.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume or CV to [email protected]
The Independent Drivers Guild (IDG) is seeking an energetic and outgoing individual interested in helping build our organization from the ground up. We are an union nonprofit affiliate of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW, Machinists Union) and represent 60,000 app-based For-Hire Vehicle workers in New York City.
We are constantly working to recruit more For-Hire Vehicle drivers into our union and develop current membership to become more active. We are searching for an experienced organizer that has 5+ experience of organizing membership and staff.
The Field Organizer position will be responsible for coordinating all levels of outreach for the Independent Drivers Guild. This position requires a high energy, responsible, and organized individual with a passion for social justice.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing and developing member and intern field organizers and phone organizers;
- Maintaining a strong internal organizing strategy to continually develop members;
- Building a network of active drivers in each borough;
- Organizing and securing turn out for events, meetings, actions, and protests;
- Organizing and running successful membership meetings;
- Identify, track, and develop potential stewards and activists that we meet in the field and/or over the phones;
- Coordinating and running works council meetings with members and company management;
- Developing and maintaining a network of community partners;
- The ability to troubleshoot problems as they come up with organizing staff and with membership;
- Coordinating with the Education Director to run Organizing trainings to further develop our membership;
- Required 3+ years of field organizing (preferably labor organizing), coordinating experience, and leading organizing staff.
This position will report directly to the Chief of Staff.
This is a salaried position, starting at $50,000.
To apply please email us your resume, a letter of interest, and two references.
The Independent Drivers Guild (IDG) is seeking an energetic and outgoing individual interested in helping build our organization from the ground up. We are a nonprofit affiliate of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW, Machinists Union) and represent 50,000 app-based For-Hire Vehicle workers in New York City.
We are seeking an experienced part-time Administrative Assistant to help us keep up with the growth of the union, and better serve our members. The Administrative Assistant’s primary responsibilities will be to:
- Answer incoming calls about the IDG, and respond to voicemails;
- Answer questions about education, organizing, firings and appeals processes, and union campaigns;
- Respond to emails from our membership throughout the day;
- Respond to Facebook messages in a timely fashion;
- In general, take care of the needs of the office;
- Coordinate food orders for classes and meetings;
- Enter necessary data (ex: turnout for meetings, classes, paper dues forms, etc.);
- Make sure that the office is clean and ready for classes/meetings the following day (sweeping, stocking the coffee bar, moping once a week, wiping down the tables, cleaning the coffee maker, and cleaning the fridge once a week);
- Compile and prepare necessary materials for classes and meetings;
- Keep a weekly inventory list and ordering more office supplies when necessary.
This position starts at $15 per hour for 24 hours per week, reports to the Executive Director, and starts immediately. To apply, please email us your resume and a letter of interest.