The Independent Drivers Guild (IDG) is seeking an energetic and outgoing individual interested in helping build our organization from the ground up. We are an union nonprofit affiliate of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW, Machinists Union) and represent 60,000 app-based For-Hire Vehicle workers in New York City.
We are constantly working to recruit more For-Hire Vehicle drivers into our union and develop current membership to become more active. We are searching for an experienced organizer that has 5+ experience of organizing membership and staff.
The Field Organizer position will be responsible for coordinating all levels of outreach for the Independent Drivers Guild. This position requires a high energy, responsible, and organized individual with a passion for social justice.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing and developing member and intern field organizers and phone organizers;
- Maintaining a strong internal organizing strategy to continually develop members;
- Building a network of active drivers in each borough;
- Organizing and securing turn out for events, meetings, actions, and protests;
- Organizing and running successful membership meetings;
- Identify, track, and develop potential stewards and activists that we meet in the field and/or over the phones;
- Coordinating and running works council meetings with members and company management;
- Developing and maintaining a network of community partners;
- The ability to troubleshoot problems as they come up with organizing staff and with membership;
- Coordinating with the Education Director to run Organizing trainings to further develop our membership;
- Required 3+ years of field organizing (preferably labor organizing), coordinating experience, and leading organizing staff.
This position will report directly to the Chief of Staff.
This is a salaried position, starting at $50,000.
To apply please email us your resume, a letter of interest, and two references.