The Independent Drivers Guild-IAMAW seeks an experienced ESL instructor to develop curriculum for and lead ESL classes for for-hire vehicle drivers in New York City. We believe that true education means developing critical consciousness, skills, and knowledge to build power to change reality through collective action. We seek a part-time instructor with a vision of developing a program rooted in critical pedagogy and positive student-teacher relationships that can grow to meet the needs of New York City’s 91% immigrant workforce of over 80,000 for-hire vehicle drivers.
The Independent Drivers Guild (IDG) is a nonprofit affiliate of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW) bringing together app-based drivers in New York City to win better pay, benefits, and dignity on the job. Since our launch in 2016, our campaigns have put millions of dollars in drivers pockets, first through a campaign that established the right to be able to accept tips through apps, and through landmark regulations that have won an average 44% raise and established the first-ever pay floor in the industry. We seek to build on this foundation through classes that empower and enhance the mental health and well-being of drivers.
Responsibilities are as follows:
- Build relationships with students rooted in trust, respect, and care.
- Develop student-centered ESL unit plans and lesson plans in six hours of prep per week
- Teach four lessons per week, 90 minutes each, two lessons for beginners and two lessons for intermediate speakers in the middle of the day (between 11am and 2pm) to accommodate drivers’ availability
- Design and conduct formative assessment to assign students to the appropriate level of instruction
- Track attendance and other key metrics to monitor program effectiveness, and adapt as-needed
- Attend monthly professional development workshops
- Certificate in TESOL, MA preferred
- A minimum of three years of teaching and curriculum design experience
- Experience working with working class, immigrant, and marginalized populations
- Familiarity with popular education methods
- Labor/community organizing experience preferred
- Multilingual strongly preferred
- Passion for social justice required
- $25/hour for six instructional hours and six hours of prep per week totalling 12 hours/week, 52-week appointment.
Please send a cover letter and CV or resume to Education Director Erik Forman (email@example.com.)
Looking to fill position ASAP.