The Independent Drivers Guild (IDG) Education Center is seeking an experienced TLC-licensed drivers and union activists to join our team as instructors for the TLC Universal License 24-Hour Course. This class is required for licensure as a TLC driver. The IDG Education Center offers this course to ensure that every new TLC driver is set up for success from their first day on the job. We are particularly interested in applicants who are bilingual in Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin), Russian, Urdu, and Bengali.
We will train a successful applicant on the curriculum and teaching techniques.
The Independent Drivers Guild is a union nonprofit affiliate of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW, Machinists Union) and represent 65,000 app-based For-Hire Vehicle workers in New York City.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Teaching 1-2 courses per month, offered over three 8-hour days, or a sequence of weekday evenings.
• Attending staff meetings and participating in professional development
• Rapidly integrating feedback and new curriculum from classroom observations
• Current TLC-licensed driver
• Minimum six months experience as a labor activist
• Passion for social justice
• Friendly disposition toward students
• Driven to build worker power in the For-Hire Vehicle Industry
• All of the above and experience as a teacher
This position will report to the Education Programs Director and collaborate with faculty and staff of the IDG Education Center.
Wages and Benefits
• This is a part-time position at up to 60 hours/month.
• Competitive pay.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.