The Independent Drivers Guild (IDG) is seeking an energetic and outgoing individual interested in helping build our organization from the ground up. We are an nonprofit worker organization which is an affiliate of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW, Machinists Union) representing 65,000 app-based For-Hire Vehicle workers in New York City.
We are searching for an experienced digital organizer to support on-the-ground organizing through digital channels.
The Digital Organizer position will be responsible for developing a highly engaged online member-base and for amplifying the organizing work being done on the ground. This position requires a passionate, self-managed, ambitious, and hardworking individual who is savvy with online tools.
- Content Curation: Source, schedule and manage daily content for social all media channels, monitor mentions and comments, follow relevant and breaking news stories and share on multiple platforms, monitor partner channels and activities to amplify and support.
- Internal Digital Organizing: Support offline organizing through digital channels. Manage personal profiles to be used for managing groups, engaging with workers, and inviting workers to events and classes. Develop a organized group of online activists to be our advocates and amplify the organization’s voice. Engage on messaging platforms like WeChat, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and Develop Google Group networks—creating and managing bots where it may be effective.
- External Digital Organizing: Promote offline organizing through digital channels. Highlight our daily work on the ground by using periscope, facebook live, snapchat, Instagram, and in general photo and video documentation.
- List Management: list segmentation, list uploads and general assistance in management of lists. Working with our communications partners, Revolution Messaging, to help create fundraising campaigns, email programs, targeting by issues and districts, tag management, maintenance and updates of templates and automated emails, develop all campaign pages (petitions, sign ups, etc.)
- Website Management: Maintain and update website(s), posting new content as needed, and ensuring that the user experience reflects the organization.
- Reporting: Run and report on analytics for website, social media, and our lists.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Strong work ethic. We work under tight schedules with an extremely large and diverse group of members.
- Your work will be fairly autonomous, ability to self-manage, multitask, and prioritize in a fast pace environment is essential, but we must also work quickly and efficiently as a team.
- Experience in and understanding how to communicate effectively with low wage workers, immigrants, and union organizers.
- Ability to address conflict head-on and communicate directly.
- Experience with evolving social media platforms and related metrics.
- Experience with photography, video, or web design is a plus.
- Experience with Creative Suite, Canva or other design programs are helpful but not required
- Experience with HTML, SQL, etc., is helpful, but not required.
- Strong ability (and experience) to effectively utilize digital organizing tools (i.e. multiple social media platforms, relay, hustle, ability to create effective organizing emails).
- Experience and ability to effectively organize in person (1:1 and with both large and small groups).
- Our members are from over 175 different countries and are 90% immigrant. Experience working with a diverse membership and using digital tools to reach members where they are is very helpful.
- Applicants who are a fluent or native Spanish, Chinese, African French, Russian (or any language from the former Soviet Union), Urdu, Arabic, Nepali, or Bengali speaker are strongly preferred.
- A commitment to labor organizing values and winning a fair industry for drivers in New York City and nationally.
To apply please email us your resume, a letter of interest in this position, and two references. This position will report to and collaborate with the Executive Director. This is a salaried position, starting at $50,000.